More details about our face mask and how they are designed
Several of my friends were sewing masks to provide to local groups and Kara Bohall was endeavoring to sew a few for the Pregnancy Help Center. She was not happy with her mask, especially the speed at which it could be made. The stories of how slow masks were getting onto the faces of folks that needed them further encouraged me to build a mask that was fast to make.
So with all the information and stories about the need for a mask I wanted to create a 2 layer mask, one that had ties behind the head for extended wear comfort, an adjustable nose piece similar to what is found in many commercially manufactured masks, completely covering the mouth and nose. Another feature is that a separate filter can be placed in between the outer layer and the inner flap although most research does not show the added value. Kris, while reading a Cambridge University study, had established cotton blend material is over 70% effective down to .02 microns so that was a key factor in our decision in what fabric to utilize in our construction. The ease of breathing through a mask is of utmost importance notably when the need to wear for extended periods, an additional feature, our mask’s fabric choice contributed.
Our face mask features:
- 2 filtering layers of cotton blend fabric
- A very comfortable face mask made from soft material
- Washable (by hand to extend life of adjustable aluminum nose piece)
- Form-fitting around the nose to further add protection from particles entering or escaping
- Snug fit around cheek line, around the nose, and under the chin
- Fast to produce
- No sewing
- Large quantities can be built quickly with readily available materials.